Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Play By Post

The last little while I've been strongly considering running a play by post.  My little "gloomwood" adventure might be perfect, albeit a touch big.  I'm tossing around the idea of either running Advanced Fighting Fantasy or a rules lite home brew of Swords & Wizardry.  From a DM's perspective I think that the S&W idea might be a bit easier to manage.  AFF is great to get me wrong, but as far as combat is concerned its starting to feel a bit daunting.  Combat Example....

Player Skill 7
Dagger 1 2 3 4 5 6
Roll      1 1 2 2 2 2

Leather Armor
Armor Roll 1 2 3 4 5 6
                    0 0 0 0 1 1

Bad Guy Skill 6 
Dagger 1 2 3 4 5 6
             1 1 2 2 2 2
Light Monster Armor
Armor Roll 1 2 3 4 5 6
                    0 0 0 1 1 1

So the gist of combat is the following.

Bad guy & good roll 2D6 and add that to their skill score

Good Guy Rolled 6 + Skill 7 = 13
Bad Guy Rolled 11 + Skill 6 = 17

Good Guy Rolls to see reduction of damage from armor (1d6) = 5 which equals 1 point less damage
Bad Guy rolls damage 3 which equals 2 points.

Good guy deflects 1 point of stamina damage and takes one point of damage.

Make sense?
Here's the errata for AFF
http://www.arion-games.com/AFF/AFF-Tables.pdf

This versus S&W , roll iniative , roll 20 vs AC, roll damage 

I think at the table AFF is easier, but typing S&W probably makes a bit more sense.  thoughts?

In other thoughts....

So from what I gather PREP is your best friend when it comes to play by post.  Also using a mapper to show where everyone is is also quite a good idea.  I like the idea of using a shared google drive for character sheets, hand drawn maps of where you are etc.

Any other thoughts? I'm curious as to other peoples experiences with this.  I have been having a tremendous amount of fun playing in +Johua De Santo  current play by post game.

No comments:

Post a Comment