The Mad God’s Jest
Written By Shane Ward
Labyrinth Lord ™ is copyright 2007-2011, Daniel Proctor. Labyrinth Lord ™ and Advanced Labyrinth Lord ™ are trademarks of Daniel Proctor. These trademarks are used under the Labyrinth Lord ™ Trademark License 1.2, available at www.goblinoidgames.com. The Mad God’s Jest is a mid level adventure module compatible with the Labyrinth Lord ™. 3 Toadstools publishing is not affiliated with Daniel Proctor, Goblinoid Games Copyright 2006 – 2009. (Font, layout, style of artwork). Are reserved as Product Identity.
Download via Google Drive - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-F5x7KohJThJ9UDHynZmNFO4-BzcqWQ0od_DVPsyXyM/edit?usp=sharing
Cover image provided by openclipart.org
This adventure will appear in a slightly different format on drivethrurpg shortly. For Free. Enjoy
This adventure is intended for 4 players of 6th level.
While camping overnight in the wilderness near the sea, the PC’s are taken hostage by a gang of pirates. They are blindfolded and led to a ship, where they are met by none other than the “Captain Sherborne “. The captain quickly explains that they are not in fact hostages, but that he needs their help. He has been tasked by a cynical harlequin to find the lost boots of a “Sex Goddess”. Unfortunately his crew is not up for the task. He will gladly pay the PC’s 500 GP’s each for his safe return. A map given to him by the harlequin points to an abandoned cave complex on an island not far from the current location of the ship.
The Harlequin has put the Captain under a permanent charm spell, for the most part he acts normally, but is drawn to find the boots that she seeks. He believes that it is a life or death situation to find these boots. The crew believes him to be mad, spouting strange curses in the middle of the night to the stars. There is talk of a mutiny.
The adventure is entirely a dream, it's the jest of a mad god, playing with the PC’s minds while they sleep. The PC’s can die within the adventure, they will earn experience points, they will however not receive any reward whatsoever. Any gold or treasure will be in a large bag beside them when they wake up in the morning. Once the PC’s return the Captain to safety they will awake to the rising sun of the new morning. If at any time the PC’s sleep within the dungeon they will be awoken by a need to keep going. Alternatively the Captain will wake them up suggesting that they need to find these boots as quickly as possible. Although the lair of the mad god is located underground in caverns it is a very strange place. The PC’s may think they are seeing an illusion, they may even be told to save for VS spell, whatever the outcome of the roll is tell them that what they are seeing is in fact real. The caverns are split up into 2 distinct sides of the mad god's mind, Whimsy & Madness. The eastern portions of the caverns are whimsy, the western portions are madness, for the most part. If at any point the Captain dies throughout the course of the adventure, have the PC’s wake up, and then promptly get kidnapped again and met by the very same Captain. In a sense resetting the entire adventures. Within the caverns is a mad elven alchemist named Nerisora Silentread. She is a minion of the mad god, and spends most of her time keeping the cultists in a stupor with potions.
8th Level Fighter
Str 17 +2
Dex 15 - 1 To AC, +1 Missile Attack, +1 to Init
Con 11 +0
Wis 13 +1 Saving Throw
Cha 17 -1 Reaction Adj, 5 Retainers, 9 Retainer Morale
Movement: 120’ (40’)
Armor Class: 7 (Leather armour - 1 for Dex)
Hit Dice: 8 (19 hp)
Damage: Longsword 1d8+2, Sling 1d4+1
Equipment: Leather Armour, Longsword, Sling, 20 Slingstones.
Random rantings by The captain
from time to the time the captain will mutter random things, shortly after he takes a swig from a flask. Roll 1d10 and consult the table.
- Where is she? where did she go?
- I must find them, I must…..
- Yes, yes I am looking for them.
- Where is my crew? why aren’t they here?
- Oh look at the time!
- No, no, not the chains.
- She says that he must be appeased, who is he?
- The world is grey and full of snakes
- Why is it raining? I’m so cold.
- Why is the rum gone?
Random rantings by the Madness Cultists
- All I see is blood, everywhere.
- Without the potions, life would be unbearable.
- Skin & bones, skin & bones, skin & bones.
- The tiger is real! it jumped right thru me.
- I need a bath, I always need a bath, do you know where the bath is?
- Confunded? no not likely.
- Jealousy is a state of mine, for example I’m jealous of your pants.
- At the bottom of the pit there is something, what is it? I do not know. At the bottom of the pit!
- I am Henry the 8th! I am!
- In other words, you're not sorry are you? you're just a silly fool. Like me.
Random rantings by the Whimsy Cultists (roll 1d10)
- The world is so much better with rainbows.
- Did I ever tell you about the time I rode a unicorn?
- I like dancing, do you like dancing?
- I keep pulling on the threads, but I can’t find the needle?
- I flew once, it was fun.
- I like getting flowers on a monday, do you?
- I should tie my shoes.
- It puts the lotion on or it gets the oranges thrown at it.
- Swimming upside down is my favorite, what’s yours?
- Never been there, have you? what were we talking about? Oh yes! I quite like your hair, why is it purple exactly?
Once in awhile a room will change. After the PC’s have entered, roll on this chart when and if they go back to a room. Alternatively once the PC’s have spent some time in a room it may just change at will. Roll 1d8.
- The room is a dark cavern, hollowed out of the rock by natural means.
- The room is brilliantly lit, the walls are lined with huge torches (4 feet tall).
- The room is filled with water, regardless of whether there are doors, it is self contained in the room. The PC’s are able to breath normally within the room.
- The room has very large windows, looking out of one you can see very far down to a sprawling city below. The room is dimly lit with strange circular shaped beams of light that are implanted in the ceiling. The room is divided with strange barriers, each barrier has a small desk and chair. (it's a corporate office basically).
- The room is dark and filled with strange computer type devices, they have blinking lights and screens. There is a neon glow everywhere. In the corner of the room is a popcorn machine. (80’s arcade)
- This room looks exactly like the last room the PC’s were in, and it contains all of the exact inhabitants of the previous room.
- The room becomes a huge perch for a giant bird of some kind. There is a large nest, with eggs that are the same size as a human! Below the nest is nothingness.
- The room becomes a mirror, the floor perfect glass. Below the PC’s they can see themselves, but they are not exactly the same. The PC’s below appear to be the darker version of themselves. They are wild-eyed, grim, with scars, mangy hair.
Potions Of Madness & Whimsy
Roll 1d6 whenever someone tests out one of the potions. If a PC tests out the potion more than 3 times, have them rolling a saving throw vs death. If they fail they become a 1st level cultist for the rest of the adventure.
- Loose 1 point of Strength
- Loose 1 Point of Intelligence
- Loose 1 point of dexterity
- Gain 1 point of Wisdom
- Gain 1 point of Charisma
- Gain 1 point of Constitution.
- 1d6 Madness Cultists
- 1d4 Gnomes
- 1d6 Dryads
- 1d4 Fire Beetle
- 1d4 Elves
- 1d6 Whimsy Cultists
- Entrance - The entrance to the caverns is a small hole at the base of a cave. Only one PC can fit thru the entrance at a time, the floor is covered in a green slippery much. Any PC entering the caverns must save vs spell, or slip and fall 10 feet into the first northern tunnel. On a successful save the PC takes no damage, otherwise it is 1D6
- Is it cold in here? - This room is a large block of ice, it is as if the PCs stepped into the centre of an iceberg. There is a large fire pit in the centre of the room, tending to the pit trying to get a fire going is a hill giant. Above the pit is a human strapped to a spit. The human is the brother of the captain, he is being held captive against his will by the mad god, and maybe eaten very shortly. Hill Giant (1) AC 4, HD 8, MV 120’ (40’), #AT 1, D 2D8, Save F8, ML 8 , AL Chaotic, XP 560 Treasure: Buried under the ice is the following in a large sack. 5000 GP’s, 8000 SP’s, 100 PP’s, potion of growth, potion of levitation. Staff of healing, Helm of comprehend languages and read magic.
- Hot Tub Party! This room resembles that of a very large bathhouse. The floor is tiled and in the centre of the room is a large hot tub. There are 1d8 cultists lounging in the pool. All of which are intoxicated. (-2 to attack rolls). None of the cultists are wearing armour. 1D8 Cultists AC 9, HD 1, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1D4 dagger, Save W1, ML 5 , AL Neutral, XP 10 *Note atleast one of the Cultists can cast a Charm spell. The Cultists have 1d10x10 CP’s and one bottle of madness or whimsical potion on them.
- Self Inflicted Torture Chamber - this cavern is a musty smelling dungeon. Various torture devices fill the room. All of which are occupied by a Madness cultist. Some of them are hanging from the walls strapped to manacles & chains. Others have their heads & arms in stocks. 1D8 Cultists AC 9, HD 1, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1D4 dagger, Save W1, ML 5 , AL Neutral, XP 10 *Note at least one of the Cultists can cast a Charm spell. The Cultists have 1d10x10 CP’s one bottle of madness or whimsical potion on them.
- Barracks - This room contains a large pool of water, floating on the water are strange magical beds, most of which contain sleeping cultists. 1D8 Cultists AC 7, HD 1, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1D4 dagger, Save W1, ML 5 , AL Neutral, XP 10 *Note at least one of the Cultists can cast a Charm spell. The Cultists have 1d10x10 CP’s one bottle of madness or whimsical potion on them.
- Giants Stalks Of Mushrooms - The room is very dark, huge mushrooms take up most of the exterior walls of the room. They stand almost ten feet high, and just barely graze the ceiling of the room. Within the room are Shriekers blending in with the other mushroom stalks. On a roll of 1 or 2 on a d6 the shriekers start screaming, alerting 1d8 Cultists who in room 3. Shrieker (1d8) AC 7, HD 3, MV 9’ (5’), #AT *see page 95 Labyrinth Lord, Save F1, ML 12 , AL Neutral, XP 65 *Note see page 95 in Labyrinth Lord for more details.
- Jungle Room - This entire room feels like you’ve stepped out of the caverns and into the jungle, complete with large palm trees, immense vegetation and the chirpings of monkeys & insects. Sitting on a large boulder in the centre of the room is a Phase Tiger, it is sleeping and snoring loudly. Phase Tiger (1) AC 4, HD 6, MV 150’ (50’), #AT 2, Tentacles 2d4, Save F6, ML 8 , AL Neutral, XP 570 *Note see page 91 in Labyrinth Lord for more details. Treasure: 500 GP’s, potion of healing.
- Pool of Lava - There is a large pool of lava in the centre of this room, the pool is man made (amazingly enough the lava has not eaten thru the floor! into the tunnel below). The room contains 4 madness cultists that are being fed strange colored soup. A manticore feeds them, and yells when they spit out the food. Manticore (1) AC 4, HD 6+1, MV 120’ (40’) Fly 180’ (60’), #AT 3 (2 claws, bite),1d4/1d4/2d4 , Save F6, ML 9 , AL Chaotic, XP 980 *Note see page 86 in Labyrinth Lord for more details. Treasure: 800 GP’s, 500 SP’s, Potion of speed, potion of invisibility. Ring of spell storing.
- Snakes in a dungeon - This room is devoid of any interesting features, other than a very large chest in the centre of the room. Written on the chest in common is the word “Snakes”. If the PC’s open the chest Pit Vipers (1d8) AC 6, HD 2, MV 90’ (20’), #AT 1 (bite),1d4, poison , Save F1, ML 7 , AL Neutral, XP 38 *Note see page 96 in Labyrinth Lord for more details.
- Potion Master’s Room - The entirely of this room is reverse gravity. Within the room are large glass casks, with tubing running all over the room. Strange purple & greenish liquids flow thru them. A desk in the corner has 15 potions of madness, and 15 potions of whimsy, as well there is 1 potion of healing. If the PC’s search for secret doors they will find one in the back of the room. It is however locked with an Arcane Lock Spell. If the Captain is in the room, he automatically recognizes the Alchemist as the harlequin that sent him on the quest in the first place! Nerisora Silentread (5th Elf) AC 5, HD 5 (1d6), MV 120’ (40’), #AT 1, D 1D8 by weapon, Save E5, ML 12 , AL Chaotic, XP 460 Spells: 1st Level: Charm Person, Protection From Good. 2nd Level Spells: Invisibility, Phantasmal Force. 3rd Level: Fire Ball. Treasure: Within a locked chest is the following: 1500 GP’s, 1 Potion Of Healing, 1 Scroll Of Charm Person. Nerisora carries a longsword +1, and a ring of spell turning and the boots of charisma +3 to Charisma.
- Secret Room - This small room is decorated in strange paintings, there is a chest in the centre of the room. (The chest is an illusion, have the PC’s save vs spell). The chest is a ruse, if any of the PC’s step into the room, have them make a saving throw vs poison. If they fail they will fall into a pit trap, the trap is a dimension door, that transports the PC’s to a random room within the cavern. Roll 1d20+1 and consult the room descriptions for the appropriate room.
- Well that’s a cliff - This very large cavern appears to be the room of a grand king’s hall. Complete with suits of armour, large tables, a huge crystal chandelier. The walls are decorated with paintings of what we can only assume is the mad god. Each picture is depicted with a different strange posing. The far south portion of the room is open, peering below is a empty nothingness. To the south is another cliff face, it is about 15 feet from the edge of the room. The suits of armour are Golems, if any of their helmets are taken off they appear to look exactly like one of the players. There is one suit of armour for each player, exactly the same height and carrying the same weapon as the player. The golems are guarding the ledge, if any PC investigates the ledge the golems will come to life. Wood Golem (as per amount of players) AC 7, HD 2+2, MV 120’ (40’), #AT 1 (fist), 1d8, Save F1, ML 12 , AL Neutral, XP 59
- Let’s Play Some Cards - The door to this room is locked. Within the room is a very large pile of cards, built into a pyramid. The cards stand 5 feet high. The ceiling of the room is very large, spanning approximately 50 feet. When the PC’s enter the room, they are unwittingly shrunk to the size of 6 inches, making the room appear larger than it actually is. A successful dispel magic, will break the spell, in turn the PC’ that becomes unshrunk will knock over all of the cards within the room. Any PC still small will have to save VS poison or risk taking 1D6 damage from the falling cards. In the room is a treasure chest, with a small deck of cards, a rope that can uncoil to whatever length is needed, and 300 GPs.
- Whimsical Cultists Meeting Room - This room is a meeting place for Whimsical cultists, there are 1D8 Cultists in the room. The room is decorated in very kitschy colors, on the floor lies a large shag carpeted rug that is orange in color. Throughout the room there are large circular chairs, where the cultists sit. The appearance of the PC’s will go slightly unnoticed by the cultists. Most of which are in a drug induced stupor. - 1D8 Cultists AC 7, HD 1, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1D4 dagger, Save W1, ML 5 , AL Neutral, XP 10 *Note at least one of the Cultists can cast a Charm spell. The Cultists have 1d10x10 CP’s one bottle of madness or whimsical potion on them.
- Old Nerisora Had A Farm - As soon as the PC’s step into this room, they find themselves in a farm yard. Chickens, cows and pigs wander around. Some are eating from large troughs. (There is nothing in the room). There are 4 exists.
- Pool Of Whimsy - The door to this room is locked and trapped. (2d6 damage). Within the room is a very large pool of water. A small altar stands to one side of the pool. On the altar is a large jug and a cup. Note: The PC’s can only take one drink from the water, if they take anymore have them save VS poison on a fail they receive 1d6 damage.
Pool Effects (Roll 1d6 if any of the PC’s test the water).
- Regain 1d6 hit points, regardless of maximum hit points.
- Lose a hand, -2 Dexterity for the remainder of the adventure.
- Charmed! for 1d4 turns.
- Gender change! (for the rest of the adventure, armour does not fit correctly, +1 to AC for remainder).
- Inspiration! The PC becomes fully aware of exactly where the boots are located within the dungeon.
- The PC is unable to speak for 1d4 turns. Any speech is garbled.
- I like getting flowers on a monday. The door to this room is locked, and trapped. The trap is a dart trap that will inflict 2d4 of damage if the PC is unsuccessful. Inside the room is a small cave, there is a stream of water that is purplish in color. (It is drinkable however). In the centre of the room is a large treasure chest with the words “flowers” written in common on the lid. If the PC’s open the chest, many flowers will spring out into the room, covering the floor. The PC’s will regain 1d4 hp’s from the magic of the flowers.
- You call that a Tavern? - The room is filled with tables, a small fire burns in a hearth along the southeast wall. A large bar stands on the eastern wall. There are many cultists in this room enjoying ale. Near the hearth is a gnome playing a violin. The PC’s can order a wide variety of beverages here, including potions of madness & whimsy. 1D8 Cultists AC 7, HD 1, MV 90’ (30’), #AT 1, D 1D4 dagger, Save W1, ML 5 , AL Neutral, XP 10 *Note at least one of the Cultists can cast a Charm spell. The Cultists have 1d10x10 CP’s one bottle of madness or whimsical potion on them. Gnome (1) AC 5, HD 1, MV 60’ (20’), #AT 1, D 1D6, Save D1, ML 8 , AL Lawful, Neutral, XP 10
Tavern Rumours (1d6)
- I spent some time yesterday relaxing in a forest, there were strange elves all around me. (true)
- Everytime I see her, I willingly walk up to her, despite the fact that my mind screams no! Something calms me. (true)
- There are a massive amount of Orcs camped out to the south, I have no idea what they are up to! They are strange though, a different color than usual. (false)
- The other day the weather turned unseasonably cold. (false)
- I saw what looked like a fat man carry a fairly large red sack, he was wandering around looking for a chimney, apparently. (Whatever you would like to believe)
- The other night while I was sleeping, I was attacked by a very large chicken. (false).
- That’s no fireplace! - If the PC’s check for secret doors have them also roll a save vs spell, if they succeed they realize that the fire in the hearth is an illusion. Behind the fire is a small room. Inside the room are 4 large casks of madness/whimsy potions. As well there are 4 scrolls, (Cursed, Read Magic, Phantasmal Force, Mirror Image)
- Beautiful Forest - The room is a large forest, the PC’s can only see trees and they appear to go on forever. Above the PC’s is a dark night's sky. In the centre of the room is a small fire pit. Dancing around it are a bunch of Elves. The Elves are deep in ritual pray to the mad god. Elves (1d4) AC 5, HD 1+1, MV 120’ (40’), #AT 1 weapon, D 1D8 or by weapon, Save E1, ML 8 , AL Neutral, XP 15 *buried in the hollow of a tree is 200 CP’s, 50 SP’s and a gem worth 15 GP’s. The Elves carry 1000 GP’s, 500 SP’s, and 1 Elven Cloak and 1 Elven Boots.
- All that glitters - This large cavern is on the other side from room 20. The entire cavern floor is covered in mounds of gold, silver and treasure! (Have the PC’s save vs spell, regardless of what happens, tell them that what they are seeing is real, even though it isn’t). The room is guarded by Dryads, who happily play amongst the treasure. The dryads guard a small treasure chest lumped under the illusion, within it is:500 CP’s, 300 SP’s, 800 GP’s, 1 potion of healing, 1 potion of treasure finding, Potion of Giant control, Sword +1 Luck blade. 1D6 Dryads AC 5, HD 2, MV 120’ (40’), #AT Charm, D 0, Save F4, ML 6 , AL Neutral, XP 29
Pre Generated Player Characters
Droverson Battleheart Human Male
6th Level Fighter
Str 15 +1 modifier to hit, damage, forcing doors
Dex 8 +1 To AC, -1 Missile Attack, +1 to Init
Con 17 +2 Hit Point Modifier per hit die
Wis 11 +0 Saving Throw
Cha 9 +0 Reaction Adj, 4 Retainers, 9 Retainer Morale 7
Equipment: Magical Chainmail Armour+1, Boots Of Speed, Longsword, Backpack, 6 torches, flint & steel, 3 days iron rations.
Quiatris Gellantara Human Female
6th Level Magic User
Str 10 +0
Dex 9 +0 To AC, +0 Missile Attack, +0 to Init
Con 14 +1 Hit Point Modifier per hit die
Wis 10 +0 Saving Throw
Cha 12 +0 Reaction Adj, 4 Retainers, 9 Retainer Morale 7
Equipment: Wand of fear, Scroll of magic missile, travelling cloak, staff, backpack,3 days iron rations.
1st Level Spells: Charm, Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Shield
2nd Level Spells: Detect Evil, Knock, Mirror Image
3rd Level Spells: Dispel Magic, Fireball
Nerislove Silverkin Human Female
6th Level Thief
Str 14 +1 modifier to hit, damage, forcing doors
Dex 11 +0 To AC, +0 Missile Attack, +0 to Init
Con 5 -2 Hit point modifier per hit die
Wis 11 +0 Saving Throw
Cha 12 +0 Reaction Adj, 4 Retainers, 9 Retainer Morale 7
Equipment: Dagger +1, Crossbow +1, Leather Armour, Backpack, 3 torches, flint & steel, 3 days iron rations.
Thief Skills: Pick Locks 45% Find & Remove Traps 43% Pick Pockets 43% Move Silently 43% Climb Walls 92% Hide In Shadows 37% Hear Noise 1 - 4
Waleak Milner Human Male
6th Level Cleric
Str 9 +0
Dex 8 + 1To AC, -1 Missile Attack, -1 to Init
Con 11 +0
Wis 17 +2 Saving Throw
Cha 8 +1 Reaction Adj, 3 Retainers, 6 Retainer Morale
Equipment: Magical Leather Armour +1, Mace +1, Backpack, 2 torches, flint & steel, 3 days iron rations. Scroll of heal.
1st Level: Cure Light Wounds, Detect Magic, Light, Protection From Evil
2nd Level: Hold Person, Snake Charm, Speak with animal
3rd Level: Remove Curse, Cure Disease, Dispel Magic
3,3, 2OGL - http://3toadstools.blogspot.ca/p/ogl_17.html