Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017

The 10,000 hour rule

The 10,000 hour rule is a strange thing, I was thinking about it this morning and then did a few google searches (it seems to be slightly debunked, I'll provide links). 

Here's the rule:  A common theme that appears throughout Outliers is the "10,000-Hour Rule", based on a study by Anders Ericsson. Gladwell claims that greatness requires enormous time, using the source of The Beatles' musical talents and Gates' computer savvy as examples.  LINK


However I believe in it.  I personally don't think I've got anywhere close to 10,000 hours writing RPG material.  Same goes for mapping.  This year I think I will try to get a few more hours into it.  I doubt strongly that I will hit that 10,000 mark.  (A perfect example of this is probably +Dyson Logos , I'm sure he's put more than 10K hours into mapping.)

I can say for certain that I've spent that amount of time engineering recordings (and I've got decent at it).  I've definitely spent that time playing guitar (although maybe not the right kind of practice which is probably the key to the whole thing!), I believe that I'm the "world's okayest guitar player" at this point.  I can't really rip, but I can learn a song pretty fast (from memory) and I've laid down acoustic rhythm tracks to a click on more occasions that I can count. 

As far as writing/mapping is concerned I'm going to keep working at it.  Try and practice the things that I need to work on. 

For writing I need to really work on the following: 

Writing better descriptions.
Making sure that everything is open ended (not railroads).
Trying to not fall into the usual traps/troupes
Being creative with traps, rumours, monsters

For mapping 

I need to start drawing buildings not just underground dungeons
I need to work on overland maps, come up with a interesting style (I quite like what +Deven Rue does!)
I need to put some more weirdness into dungeons, more natural traps, holes, cliffs etc.

So here's my sorta random 2018 plan, spend more time working on the above.  Maybe I can even come up with a schedule for myself (I tend to stick to schedules if I create one).  I'd like to find a half hour a day to work on either/or.  That doesn't seem like a lot, so hopefully I can stick to it!

Random Debunk links that I haven't actually read: 
https://lifehacker.com/the-10-000-hours-rule-is-a-myth-1819512038
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-study-destroys-malcolm-gladwells-10000-rule-2014-7

PS:  Totally random, but I think I'd like to do another collaborative dungeon again in January!  Quite possibly a sequel! "Return to the blue baron's palace".  I'll need a few more ideas about how to get it going.  Hit me up on Google plus to discuss your ideas. 




No comments:

Post a Comment